Sunday 10 May 2009

Earley to Henley

On Saturday I did the longest walk I've ever done. 18 miles from Earley to Henley. My friend Dave is doing a sponsored walk of 77 miles over 3 days from Maidenhead to Brighton next Bank Holiday and this was his training walk that I just hijacked. We both benefitted from the company :)



It was the first proper walk in my new boots; the only other wear they'd had was around the house and 2 miles round the block the day before. Thankfully they were comfortable and I only got a couple of sore patches that are now recovered. I did pfaff with the lacing a fair bit but it's all part of the learning process. The backpack was used again and although I didn't weight it, it must have been about 4kg with the water and spare pair of shoes.



The walk itself was great. We'd stolen someone elses route from RealBuzz and steered clear of major roads. Plenty of countryside, a fair bit of wildlife (rabbits, deer, squirrels, fowl and a rather disorientated mole), and a small detour / pub break. Another well deserved pub stop once we got to Henley, at the Angel on the Bridge then a few trains and a cab back to Dominos pizza and a film. Sunday featured badminton, and a couple of very short walks and bike rides. As a result I shall be refraining from exercise today. Back to it on Tuesday :)

No comments:

Post a Comment