Friday 21 August 2015

Picnics, Presents and Paddles

It was my birthday this week. It wasn't a milestone, except in the sense that I now have to tick a different box in the age category on surveys, but it was lovely nonetheless. I started the day by teaching a class at the gym then a 10k run to earn my August medal from Virtual Runner. The rest of the day was spent the rest of the day with my parents, something I'm rarely able to do as I'm not in the habit of taking the day off work. It's one of the perks of being self-employed, that I can arrange my weeks to suit, to some extent.
Sprinkles on my breakfast smoothie
I got thoroughly spoilt with pimms cupcakes my mum made, a host of gifts wrapped so beautifully I almost didn't want to open them. Yes there was funky new lycra but also moomin-related items, a new rucksack for my new active lifestyle and vinyl - all bases covered!
My mum would give Mr Kipling a run for his money
It rarely rains my on birthday so we'd planned a picnic at Buscot Park followed by a wander around the house and gardens. However this year it did rain so we picnicked in the car before exploring, cloaked in raincoats. All in all it was a lovely day, rounded off with a meal at Jamie's Italian.
Car picnic - home made blue cheese, pear & walnut tarts
I'm now into my second week as a self employed Personal Trainer and it's still taking some getting used to. I'm building a routine and spending a lot of time planning sessions. I've been in talks with my council this week about providing a Back To Fitness Scheme which has been super exciting and also taken quite a bit of my time in organisation. I have a lot more flexibility in what I do when which does seem to allow me more time to train. My week of activity has looked a little like this:
Saturday: parkrun
Sunday: 4 miles at Stokes Farm Scurry (review on the way), a further 5.5 miles afterwards, metafit
Monday: Monday Mile
Tuesday: Rest day
Wednesday: 10k run
Thursday: 1500m open water Doggy Paddle swim (another review on the way)
Friday (planned): 1.5hr run, 1hr cycle, boxercise class
Midweek bling!
My diet hasn't been particularly great this week, due to birthday cake and meals out, but it's no big deal, I'll just draw a line under it and stop eating cake! I've got a fridge stuffed to bursting with fresh fruit and veg at the moment so there's no excuse for not eating well. I'm definitely more conscious of what I'm eating and doing now I'm self employed. 

From September I intend to revive these "Life and Training" type posts as I enjoy writing them and both elements are very different for me at the moment so hopefully you'll enjoy reading them too.

Do you take your birthday off from work? Are you doing any virtual races over the summer? What's your favourite picnic food?

2 comments:

  1. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a good one. :)
    Your Mums cupcakes look amazing. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a few cakes on your birthday!
    I haven't worked on my birthday in a long while. I'm a teacher and my birthday always falls during the holidays which is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated birthday! Sounds like you had a good one. :)
    Your Mums cupcakes look amazing. I think it's perfectly acceptable to have a few cakes on your birthday!
    I haven't worked on my birthday in a long while. I'm a teacher and my birthday always falls during the holidays which is quite nice.

    ReplyDelete