Friday 8 January 2016

Recipe : Uppark(run) Cake

It is the done thing, amongst runners at least, to celebrate landmark events with cake. And so it was only right and proper that I provided cake in honour of completing my 100th parkrun last Saturday. I made my go-to chocolate cake recipe (from the Pink Whisk here) in addition to a new recipe, which had been pinned to my fridge for some weeks. 

I'm a keen supporter of the National Trust, enjoy visiting their properties and indeed sampling their cake. I'd recently visited Uppark House and this recipe for "Uppark Cake" was tempting and felt appropriate purely because it had the word "park" in the title. It went down a storm and I promised I'd share the recipe here so here it is!
Uppark cake in foreground, chocolate cake behind.

Uppark Cake

Makes 9 portions (halved from the original recipe)

Ingredients
  • 110g cooking/baking margarine
  • 110g granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 165g self raising flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tbsp marmalade
  • 1 1/2 tbs milk
  • 200g mixed dried fruit (I used sultanas, mixed peel and cherries)
  • A sprinkling of caster sugar for the top
Method
  1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
  2. Grease and line a tin (I used a square silicone cake pan).
  3. Cream together the margarine and sugar until light and fluffy.
  4. Add the eggs one at a time, with a little flour to prevent curdling.
  5. Add all the other ingredients, sifting the flour and baking powder into the bowl, and mix.
  6. The mixture should drop off the spoon easily. If it is too stiff, add a little more milk or water.
  7. Smooth into the prepared tin and bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 35-45 minutes (check after half an hour and every 5 minutes after that).
  8. Sprinkle with sugar while still warm.
  9. Cut once cooled, and enjoy with tea and friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment