Friday 11 March 2016

Recipe: Mellow Okra and Chickpeas

Although I have a wealth of recipe books and try to base my meals on what I have in the house already, there are times when the yellow sticker section of the supermarket comes up trumps and I find some gems that are too good to resist. The latest example of this was a pack of okra for 20p. I rarely see okra, let alone buy it, but I've had enough good dishes in Indian restaurants to know I enjoy it. 

I'd remembered seeing a recipe in Plenty that featured okra but in the end I made up my own version of a dish that was colourful, different and satisfying. It has elements of curry recipes I've made in the past but is far gentler. 

Mellow Okra and Chickpeas

Ingredients
  • 1 pack okra (~150g)
  • 1 red pepper
  • 400g chickpeas, drained
  • 400g chopped toms
  • 1 tbsp corriander seeds
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tbsp coconut oil
  • 80g quinoa, dry weight
  • Fresh coriander, chopped

Method

  1. Melt the coconut oil in a large pan over a medium heat. Add the cumin and coriander seeds and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  2. Cut the stalks from the okra, trying not to cut so low as to expose the seeds, and slice the red pepper into strips. Add to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes
  3. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas and simmer until the okra is tender and the chickpeas are warmed through, about 10 minutes.
  4. Meanwhile, cook the quinoa according to the instructions, this usually takes about 8-10 minutes.
  5. When cooked, drain the quinoa and alongside the okra and chickpea mix. Serve with fresh chopped coriander or a little sour cream or yogurt if you like.
Have you been inspired by any unusual reduced items at the supermarket?

No comments:

Post a Comment