Friday 16 May 2014

Bandying About

I'm flying out to the U.S. of A with my dad tomorrow for a bit of a tour around Atlanta, Nashville, Memphis, New Orleans and Louisiana. We're staying in different hotels every other night on average so although my trainers are coming with me I won't have time to get used to the area and learn where's safe to run. I've done some research and although most of the hotels are quite swish and have a "fitness centre" that could mean almost anything so as a back up I'm also packing a resistance band. These take up almost no space at all so are great for travelling when you want something to ring the changes from running and bodyweight exercises. It's a new addition to my workout kit that I'm still getting to grips with, so to speak.

I got mine from MilletSports, although they're widely available, and it came with a nifty little booklet with guidelines on how to use it safely and some exercise ideas.

So I've had a little play around and come up with a mini routine that I'm going to try while I'm away. Please exercise caution when using a dyna-band. Unless you are using a flat band I would advise against doing the press up. Always remember to exhale with the effort.

Pull down - Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip width apart and the band held above your head, hands shoulder width apart. Pull your hands out and down in front of your chest. Return to the start position in a controlled movement.
Squat - Stand on band with legs hip width apart. Hold one end of the band in each hand and bring them up to shoulder level, palms forward. Perform a squat as normal.

Double arm pull - Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip width apart and the band held in front of you at chest height, hands shoulder width apart. Pull your hands apart and out to the side then return to the start position in a controlled movement.
Chest press - Lie on the floor with the band under your back, just below armpit level, holding one end of the band in each hand with arms bent. Extend the arms and push your hands upwards in line with your chest then return to the start position in a controlled movement.
Bicep curl - Stand on band with your legs hip width apart, hold one end of the band in each hand by your thighs. Slowly flex your arms, bringing the hands up to your shoulders then return to the start position in a controlled movement.
Tricep press - Stand with your feet slightly wider than hip width apart. Wrap the band around one hand and dangle it down your back. Reach behind you with your free hand and grasp the free end of the band. One arm should be bent, elbow pointing upwards, beside your head and the other by your bum. Extend your bent arm straight up above your head and return to the start position in a controlled movement. Repeat on the other side.
Press up - Place the band flat across the widest part of your back, roughly in line with your arms. Hold the ends in your hands so that you can feel the tension. Perform a press up as normal.
Side step - Stand on band legs hip width apart, holding one end of the band in each hand. Keeping the tension in the band, take a small step to one side, then bring the other leg to meet the first. Perform 10 side steps on each side.
Leg press - Lie on your back on the floor with hips and knees bent at 90 degrees. Loop the band around your feet crossing the band to make an X. Hold an end in each hand near your shoulders or hips, depending on how much resistance you want. Brace your core and slowly extend your legs, pushing your feet away from you until the legs are almost straight. Return to the start position in a controlled movement.
Have you used one of these before? Got any other good exercises I can include?

P.S. Just because I'm away doesn't mean there won't be posts. I've scheduled a few for while I'm away which I hope you enjoy. See you in June!

DisclaimerMilletSports allowed me to choose products up to the value of £50 in return for a review on my site. All views are my own. The fitness band was priced at £9.99 at the time of writing.

1 comment:

  1. "I've always admired Arnold for his dedication to fitness, and his advice on push-ups is spot on! 🏋️‍♂️"
    https://shorturl.at/CJSTW

    ReplyDelete