Monday 27 July 2015

Vik's Picks : July 2015

Another month has flown around and it's time for another Vik's Picks! There's a definite foodie theme this month - only one kit mention but this is a true reflection of the things I have gravitated to in the last 30 days.

  1. I absolutely couldn't get away without mentioning Muscle Milk this month. This brand of protein shake helped me to refuel at Endure 12/50 recently and I've also used it as a base for smoothies on occasion. The fact it is pre-mixed made it really convenient at the race and I've particularly enjoyed the strawberry flavour.
  2. I've been cooking a lot with quinoa lately. Not quite as quick as cous cous but just as versatile, if not more so. I've added it to salads, used it as a base instead of rice or pasta and found a big batch to be a handy stand by for the fridge.
  3. A friend of mine gave me a few Primal Pantry bars to try a while ago and I must admit to being dubious about them, only because there are already plenty of bars that I enjoy and I don't follow a pale diet but I really enjoyed these, especially the cherry ones and since Box Bell Fit  tarted stocking them I'm never far from a fix.
  4. Another item I have been converted to are CEP Calf Sleeves. I've only ever used compression socks or sleeves for recovery but running in these at Endure 12/50 completely changed my mind about the effectiveness of running in compression. My legs have never felt so fresh either during or after a long run. And over the course of 40 miles I reckon that's a fair endorsement.
  5. My cook book of choice this month has been Jamie Oliver's second book, Return of the Naked Chef. I picked this up at a National Trust second hand book store and read it from cover to cover in the grounds cooking from it that same night. The salads have been particularly simple, tasty and inspiring... the malteser shake was also rather good
What have been your go-to items this month?


No comments:

Post a Comment