Thursday 1 April 2010

In the mood for doing nothing

Last weekend was fabulously indulgent. Mum and I had our spa weekend in the New Forest which consisted of sitting in a variety of wet or humid environments, often with bubbles, eating huge and delicious meals, being massaged and going shopping. Unfortunately an hour in the office undid a lot of the good work.

This week I won a set of these Calf and Achilles protectors which will probably be at the mail depot awaiting collection. I'm not sure what to do with them as I'm not about to take up football or hockey. I may gift them or sell them.

I managed to get a place in the Royal Parks Half Marathon after many error messages and much frustrated reloading of pages. I'm runner 8505 and aiming for a sub 2 hour PB :) Donna, one of the girls I climbed Kili with, is also signed up. The new design t-shirts look fab don't you think?


I'm considering the Cardiff half as well but seeing as it's only a week later that might be a little ambitious. Shame though because I'd like the excuse to go back and I could make a weekend of it.

There was a wonderful article in The Times about exercise junkies and people who repeatedly enter endurance events. Quite intrigued by the Escape from Alcatraz triathlon... They mention that it takes 2 years to build up an exercise dependancy and that those who enter challenge events frequently are often searching for a purpose and increased self-esteem. I'd not dispute that with any ferocity. I think that even though I like the physical improvements that have come with training for specific events, more than that, I like the sense of achievement, of ability, of having found something I can do. It's something measurable and those who know me well will vouch for the fact that I'm constantly questioning what I should be doing with my life and whether I'm "good enough" at whatever today's focus is. If sports help me feel better then that's fine by me. I'm not yet at the stage where I'm covering my tracks by pretending to go to the pub.

This weekend is going to be another fairly relaxed one. I'm going to catch up on my press ups plan as I missed yesterday's session due to leaving drinks with Cardiff Colleagues (I'm hoping I burnt off at least some of the calories on the dance floor). I'm going to Go Ape with my friend Jo on Saturday and I think I'm taking her lad swimming on Sunday afternoon so the rest of the time's my own. I'll probably end up doing something like going for a bike ride but I also intend to loaf quite a bit after I've washed the car and pottered about at the allotment. I shall attempt to eat healthily, catch up on some sleep and generally make the most of having very few plans. I won't be going running yet, I'm going to wait until I've had my first physio session which is in 2 weeks time, just to be on the safe side.

No comments:

Post a Comment