Wednesday 2 April 2014

Event Review : Earley 10k UrbanX

You know me, always keen to try something a bit different. Which is exactly the philosophy behind Incurro, a race organiser who are passionate about encouraging, inspiring, motivating, challenging everyone to “Go on, give it a try” whether they are adults or kids, completing their first 2K or Triathlon. Many events can be quite pricey to enter which and there by exclude a lot of people so Incurro organise reasonably priced, family-friendly, community based events.

I was given one of their leaflets at Woodley parkrun, advertising an event called the Earley 10 UrbanX, a mixed terrain event around Earley, with a difference. This wasn't your usual road race or off-road event but the kind of event where you get to explore the local area, running up/down some of those gaps between streets that you drive past and wonder “where does that go”, along cycle tracks, behind large fences... and find out how un-flat it is!

So at 10am on Sunday 30th March, having managed to deal with the clocks changing, I found myself in Laurel Park in Earley about to experience the very first UrbanX event. In family-friendly style there was an under 16's 2.5k version at 9:30 which I watched with some enthusiasm, cheering on the little ones who looked so tired and generally being very impressed with them all. They all got a well-deserved goody bag complete with creme egg and medal.

Although the event had all the trappings of a well-organised event, chip timing, lots of marshals, bag-drop, changing facilities, refreshments in the form of bacon butties and so on, it was all very friendly and laid back. The route wound its way around the park and then out into Earley, across some roads, round the back of houses, doing exactly what it set out to do; take us on an adventure. The water stop at the halfway point was especially welcome on such a warm day, even more so as it dispensed sports capped bottles, and there were pockets of support all the way round. I completely lost my sense of direction but the route was incredibly well marked with signs, marshals, tape and spray painted footprints on the paths.


I wish I'd taken photos on the way round, or at all, in fact. It really was a great route and challenging; I only just made the hour mark. But once I'd got my breath back I thought what a great event it had been and wished there were more like that in other towns nearby. Every finisher got a medal and a goody bag containing a snickers and some leaflets and coupons for local businesses which I thought was a nice touch. For £15 it was definitely affordable and I will be keeping an eye out for some of their other events including triathlon!

No comments:

Post a Comment