Wednesday 9 July 2014

Kit Review: Dumbbells

Since I've passed my PT assessment (yes, still chuffed about that), I've been thinking more about building up a core of kit and practicing my programming and coaching on willing friends so the opportunity to review some dumbbells from the vast array stocked by Savage Strength was timely!

I chose two types of dumbbells; a pair of 5kg York Fitness Legacy dumbbells and a pair of 2kg Tufftech rubber hex dumbbells. I already have a set of adjustable dumbbells that I got from freecycle some years ago which serve me pretty well so I was interested to see how the new additions to the family stack up. Having provided two delivery men with a bit of a work out, the kit arrived in good nick, decent time and well packaged. No flimsy boxes threatening to buckle and drop a weight on your toes here.
Tufftech (L) and York Fitness Legacy (R) dumbbells
The Tufftech dumbbells have rubberised hexagonal ends and a texturised metal bar. They feel comfortable in the hand, well made and don't roll off when you put them down. They may not look pretty but the benefit of the Tufftech dumbbells to me is that as someone who occasionally throws a bunch of kit in the boot of the car to use at alternative locations, I know they won't roll and clunk about in the boot of my car. The York Fitness Legacy dumbbells look like they mean business. They're made completely of metal and feel slightly less comfortable in the hand. The ends have a flattened part to stop them rolling around but it's not terribly pronounced. 

I put both pairs to the test with a few basic exercises. The lighter dumbbells are especially good for exercises such as the lateral raise where you're using the smaller muscles.
Grasp dumbbells in front of thighs with elbows slightly bent. Bend over slightly with hips and knees bent slightly. Raise upper arms to sides until elbows are shoulder height. Maintain elbows' height above or equal to wrists. Lower and repeat.
The flattened edges and weight of the York Fitness Legacy dumbbells make them ideal for exercises such as the press up shoulder row where stability is key. Assume a pushup position with a dumbbell in each hand. Engage your core and row the dumbbell in your right hand to the side of your chest, bending your arm as you pull it upward. Pause then lower the dumbbell. Repeat with your left arm.

You can get basic dumbbells pretty easily these days, even in some of the larger supermarkets, but it's definitely worth taking a look at the range offered by Savage Strength as they are pretty competitive on price and sell single dumbbells as well as pairs and sets.

The 5kg York Fitness Legacy dumbbells were £26.65 for the pair and the 2kg Tufftech rubber hex dumbbells were £7.97 at the time of writing. 

Disclaimer: I was asked to write a review in return for being allowed to keep the items but all opinions are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment