Monday 15 June 2015

Skin Healer Cream

Last week I posted a review of InstaNatural's Scar Gel and mentioned that I'd made my own "skin healer" cream in the past. I had a couple of enquiries about it so thought I'd share it with you today.

Some time ago I went on a course with Neal's Yard to learn the basics of aromatherapy and essential oils. Each oil is thought to have particular properties such as a stress reliever, healer, energiser and so on, and as such can be combined to particular effect. On the course we were shown how to combine oils and to make some basic products like massage oils, muscle rubs and skin creams. Some of these involved making base products, such as balms, from scratch and for others we used pre-prepared products such as creams.

This skin healer cream uses a pre-prepared body cream. The Body Shop used to sell tubs of unscented body creams (you may still find them in their outlet stores) and Neal's Yard also stock one. Any thick, unscented, body cream should work. I would recommend Neal's Yard for essential oils only because I have first hand experience of their quality.

You will need:

  • Unscented body cream
  • Frankincense essential oil
  • Mandarin essential oil
  • Lemon essential oil

Frankincense is thought to have wound healing properties, mandarin helps to reduce the appearance of scars and lemon helps to fight against infections. The combined scent is also rather uplifting.

For every 100ml of cream you will need to add 60 drops of essential oil, for topical application.
I use the following ratio:
Frankincense: 20 drops
Mandarin: 25 drops
Lemon: 15 drops

Add the oils to the cream and stir well to combine. Apply as you would a regular cream, either in place of your usual or perhaps at night before sleeping.

This cream has helped to improve my skin in the past but is not scientifically proven. If you experience any adverse reaction, stop using immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment