Monday 21 September 2015

Buddy Box : A Lovely Pick-Me-Up

Our mental health and well-being is just as important as our physical health. When it comes to talking about mental health, it's a topic that still has a lot of stigma around it and there are a lot of false beliefs and misconceptions about depression, anxiety, stress and so on. 

I am in no way an authority on the subject but I do understand how difficult it can be to talk about depression or know how to show your support. Which is why I think that the Buddy Box from the Blurt Foundation is such a lovely idea. Each month they put together a box of treats designed to help, inspire and comfort; they call it a "hug in a box". They can be bought as a one-off or as a monthly subscription for someone you know or yourself. The contents aren't revealed in advance so even it you buy for yourself it will be a surprise. It's a thoughtful way to show support of a little self-care. Blurt kindly sent me this month's box to review, which arrived last week.
First impressions were good. The box is sturdy and was visibly jam-packed with items, as the lid wouldn't quite fit on. Inside, surrounded by jaunty orange tissue paper were six items, all of which made me smile.
The box contained:
- A book of smile-inducing, inspiring and uplifting messages
- A tub of indulgent looking hot chocolate
- A set of postcards, to send or keep
- Some energising pulse point oil
- A set of dog-themed colouring in sheets
- Some beans printed with messages to grow

Of course these might not tick the boxes for everyone but I was thrilled with it all. I've already got a couple of colouring in books that I use (as well as the Colourfy app on my phone) so I may pass on the colouring sheets to my godson. My favourite items (apart from the hot chocolate) are the aromatherapy roller ball and the beans. Much as I love the beans though, I may pass on them on to a friend who I think would love them too as my windowsills are full of salad at the moment.
My favourite items
A look inside the book of kinds words and wisdom
I have never been diagnosed with depression, although I know many who have, and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. But we can all have our darker days when things feel that bit harder and you don't know where to turn. Exercise, good food and a little self-care is usually my go-to when I'm feeling down but I know that receiving a box like this would really help too. The Blurt Foundation do a lot of great work in helping to raise awareness of depression, to educate and support those who suffer from it as well as the friends and families of sufferers. 
Buddy Boxes start from £18.50 as part of a years' subscription. I received mine for free thanks to The Blurt Foundation, in return for a review. All opinions are honest and my own.

2 comments: