Friday 15 January 2016

January Goal : Moving Everyday

January is the month of good intentions, resolutions, projects and goals. We so often try to take on so much in the throes of our new found enthusiasm that we set ourselves up to fail early on and struggle to recover from the knock back.

I've set myself some resolutions, some projects I want to achieve through the year and some weekly/monthly goals. I'm as fallible as anyone when it comes to staying on track and feel as though I'm "ramping up" to some of my resolutions rather than diving in head first but one thing I felt compelled to include as a goal for January (and hopefully beyond) is moving my body every day. By that I mean doing something active, whether it be formal or informal exercise. So far this has included brisk walks, running, cycling to and from work, yoga and HIIT workouts in the privacy of my own home. I'm enjoying it and making a concerted effort to stick to it.
New Year parkrunning
As with everything, the smaller the step and the easier you can make it to achieve the goal, the more likely you are to stick to it and build the habit. I've not committed to doing a class everyday, not even something aerobic everyday, and many of these things are free as well! I've found the whole thing not only helping me to feel more energetic but also beneficial for my mental well being. Going out for a brisk walk at lunchtime helps to clear my mind and makes me more productive on my return.
Out on a chilly walk around the lake
Many of us are training for events or maybe just starting out in exercising in general but what ever your ability or circumstance I encourage you to join me in moving every day. Here are some cheap and easy ideas to get you started!
  • A brisk 20-30 minute walk, perhaps around a local park, or with a friend
  • parkrun. It's free, friendly and can be fun (unless you're trying to PB)
  • Try a new exercise class. Check out your local community centre for nearby classes. Many will have special offers on
  • Do a workout DVD. ALDI recently had some on offer but you can pick them up quite cheaply from many shops and online. Perhaps check out the charity shop.
  • If you're keen on running then just go out for a run. It doesn't have to be miles. If you're tight on time try an interval workout. 
  • Yoga or pilates are great for getting the body moving at low intensity. There are plenty of online videos and apps available to help you learn or to provide a routine. Yoogaia has a free 7-day trial of their pre-recorded classes at the moment.
  • HIIT workouts are also brilliant for doing at home, with next to no equipment or space. Again there are plenty of ideas online but I like The Body Coach's YouTube channel at the moment.
  • If you have a bike then cycling to the shops, to work, or your friend's house gets you moving without having to carve out too much extra time. 
  • Skipping is highly under-rated in my opinion. Ropes are very cheap to buy and you can get a great workout in a very short space of time. Check out my blog post from last year for ideas.
And all that's just for starters. We can all find 20 minutes in our day to move around and it's so important to do. Will you join me for the rest of the month, moving every day, and let me know how you get on? What was your favourite activity? 

No comments:

Post a Comment