Friday 24 April 2015

Stepping Back Into Training

It feels like a while since I did a proper Friday Update post (as I term these). Last week I wrote about feeling a little lost since Brighton but thankfully I avoided the worst of it by distracting myself with other exciting things. And that hasn't involved entering masses of other races!

One of those things was marshaling at the Fairoaks 5 & 10 in Chobham. Mum and dad even got involved this time out on the course and helping to direct people to parking beforehand. As ever it was lovely to see some familiar faces and everyone was in good spirits due to the fine weather. Just as well as the race had to restart because of horses on the course!!
Dad, enthusiastically directing people
I'm picking up my own training again now. I spent the week after Brighton feeling pretty good physically but just lacking in that zip and energy I'd had before and did little of anything that could be called training in that week; a 1.5 mile recovery jog around the lake, a swim session with the local tri club, an hour dog walk and trialing out the new metafit track in the safety of my own home, oh and swimathon. A week on, though, and I'm feeling fairly springy again, helped by the gorgeous weather we've been having.

I caught up with my coach and talked about my next phase of training and goals. Although I'd like to get a 10k PB this year most of my focus is on distance running and he seems to think the two are compatible which is good news. My first week of training has been very light and enjoyable compared with what I was doing; two runs totalling around 10.25 miles which included some anaerobic intervals. I had my regular swim lesson last night and got to play with pull buoys and paddles for the first time and I've a short intervals set later today.

It's looking unlikely that I'm going to hit 100 parkruns this year, due to other commitments, even though I'm already at 76, but I'll keep on trying and I'll be doing my first official Bracknell parkrun tomorrow morning.

My next event is Glow In The Park with my mum tomorrow, but it's a just-for-fun event so I'm looking to Endure24 as my next real race. I was meant to be taking on the Royal Berkshire 10k in May but I have a christening to attend and have yet to find a suitable alternative. Shinfield 10k was a possibility but it's on Bank Holiday Monday after a weekend of supporting Patrick in his 24 hour swim event. So I'm undecided. Time will tell.

Good luck to everyone running the London Marathon this weekend. Remember to appreciate your marshals and supporters and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment