Monday 14 December 2015

Waste Not : Leftover Veg Stir Fried Rice

During the time I spent scrutinising my food habits recently I learned that I'm inherently frugal with my food. I can't abide throwing things out and the key to this is having a few reliable recipes to make the most of odds and ends of things that are left over. One of my favourites at the moment, aside from the ever present "bung it all in" soup I make quite often, is vegetable fried rice. You can throw all sorts of bits and bobs in and end up with a tasty, nutritious meal at the end of it. The addition of cashews and egg means there's a good protein hit, good carbs in the form of brown rice or quinoa and of course, lots of veg.

Left Over Veg Stir Fried Rice

This makes a great lunch or perhaps a light dinner.

  • Handful of cooked rice (I prefer brown) or quinoa per person
  • A good amount of left over veg (broccoli, peppers, mushroom, courgette, green beans and sweetcorn are all good but don't feel restricted)
  • One egg per person, beaten
  • A small handful of cashews, toasted (optional)
  • Soy sauce
  • Chilli flakes (optional)
  • Oil
  1. Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok
  2. Once hot, add the veg and rice and cook until heated through. I sometimes like to heat up left over rice in the microwave first to ensure it's piping hot and not harbouring any nasties.
  3. Add the soy and chilli flakes to taste. 
  4. Move the rice and veg to one side of the pan and add the egg to the other side. This is easiest if the pan is tilted slightly in the egg direction. Let it sit for a moment and then use a spatula or chopstick to scramble the egg without mixing it in to the rice mixture.
  5. Once the egg is softly scrambled, remove from the heat and mix in with the rice.
  6. Serve topped with toasted cashews.

No comments:

Post a Comment