Monday 12 October 2009

Royal Parks Half Accompished!

I did it! My first half marathon in 2 years and I did it in 2:10:10. I'm really pleased because although that might not be a quick time in your eyes it's a personal best and far exceeded what I thought I'd achieve. I even got a new P.B. at 6miles even though I wasn't going all out. Something to aim to beat again at next year's Bluewater 10km. I was planning a run/walk strategy but in the end I ran the whole thing with only a brief pause at the last water station. I did get overtaken by a hot dog and a man in a lime green mankini (there was one of them at the Bluewater 10k too...) but did overtake the Cat in the Hat :)

There was a real sense of comaraderie in the tubes heading to Hyde Park, everyone in their kit waiting for the trains, little old ladies wishing us luck, discussing P.B.'s and other events. The event itself was very well organised given that there were 15,000 people running. Got a nice lot of freebies including Lucozade, Mars bars and Oasis. Not much of a goodie bag, just a canvas bag, bottle of lucozade, water and a banana. The medals were cool though, made of wood. Couldn't have asked for better weather, cool, overcast and dry. The route was lovely, going through the parks and along the river, past Big Ben and Trafalgar Square. I felt like a real tourist! I don't think I stopped grinning for the first 6 miles or so.

I only really struggled in the last three miles due to my right knee starting to hurt. Had to limp my way to the medical tent afterwards to get it strapped up and I'm now the proud owner of some ibruprofen gel and a couple of good supports. Must look after myself. That said I can't wait to do it all again. Thanks to Sarah for giving me the chance this year. Hope my time was good enough ;)

I have since found out that Ben Fogle, Charlie Boorman and James Cracknell's wife ran too. Wish I'd had the chance to meet them as I especially admire Ben Fogle. Maybe at the next one...

I've got some video footage of the race which I'll put up towards the end of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment