Thursday 22 April 2010

Do you grow your own potatoes?

I'm lying on a paper-covered doctors bed, lower half stripped to my pants with Neil, my Physio, using ultrasound on my legs. In order to put me at ease we're chatting about allotments and vegetable growing. And it's sort of working.

I think I've finally figured out what to wear to my appointments now; big pants, boy shorts or a pair of gym shorts to change into. Today I have had the foresight to shave my legs and wear boy shorts but I'm still feeling self conscious. I've wandered around in my pants wearing my running shoes and walking boots so that Neil can see if they're supportive enough. The verdict's good on the trainers and he reckons that using the insole from those in the boots will make all the difference.

I've not had any pains since the last session really so I'm feeling like a bit of a fraud, and have to keep reminding myself that I've generally not been doing the sorts of exercise that bring on the pains, at Neil's advice, so really I shouldn't be worried. I seem to be doing my stretches ok but I'm still lacking "buttock strength" so I've got to try extra hard with those exercises. This along with calf stretches in particular, Neil says, will be key to getting rid of the pains for good. General flexibility is deemed to be good but better on the left that the right still. This week I'm allowed to start going on walks again, but only a couple of miles - does he not know me at all? My idea of a walk is much more than two miles! Still at least it's progress and I may try a short run once or twice, on the promise that I will stop if I start to get any pain. Because my memory's awful and in order to settle a discussion with my mum I ask again whether I under or over pronate... I over pronate. I feel better for knowing that.

After discussing the relative merits of buying seeds and veg plants, the mystery of the never-growing-carrots and when potatoes and sprouts should be planted I agree to share my (Green & Blacks) now famous recipe for courgette chocolate cake and he agrees to see me again in two weeks time. I feel this is a fair swap.

No comments:

Post a Comment