Tuesday 6 April 2010

Enter the Sandman

Today in The Times there's an article about James Cracknell. This time he's effectively offering up his body for scientific research whilst running the Marathon Des Sables, to see what the effects this sort of epic activity has on the body. There's going to be a programme on the Discovery Channel about it later in the year which I await with anticipation (and the hope that someone can record it for me).

In a nice link to my post last week about exercise addiction, I'm feeling ready to start easing myself back in to a more active lifestyle. I've been doing very little, compared to prior to Kilimanjaro, and have started to get restless. I sort of planned not to do anything until after my first physiotherapy session but I'm not sure I can wait that long. The extent of my exercise has been a trip to Go Ape, "swimming" with my friend's son and numbers of press ups I didn't think I was capable of.

There isn't any real incentive to do mega amounts of exercise, given that my next planned race isn't until June, so I'm hoping to keep it all fun and ad hoc for now. I've taken a look at the classes at the gym at work and figure that core, abs and skipping look fun, and have booked myself in to review my workout plan on Thursday morning. They're also holding a Triathlon Challenge whereby you record your fastest time for rowing, cycling and running over one of four Tri distances so I might give that a go too.

I've organised enough evenings with friends this week to stop myself from diving straight back in. I think my aim now is to work on my core and flexibility whilst keeping up with my running and improve my swimming and cycling slowly. More generally the aim is to keep fit, whilst having fun and occasionally being social at the same time (mountain biking and running club look probable).

No comments:

Post a Comment