Wednesday 1 July 2015

Event Review : Samaritans 10k 2015

For the second year in a row I took part in the Bracknell Samaritans Run, held at Wellington College in Crowthorne. This was the 34th year that the run had been held and once again it was a triumph. It costs £23,000 a year to run the Bracknell branch of the Samaritans, a small price to pay for all the wonderful work they do but not an insignificant sum. This run helps to raise these vital funds not only through entry fees but also the raffle and cake stall.

There's the option of 10k and 5k distances and under 16s are also encouraged to enter the shorter distance. The most expensive entry fee is £18 and for that you get a medal, tech t-shirt and goody bag. Parking is free and plentiful, there's bag storage, changing facilities, a warm up and chip timing. Frankly I don't know how they do it!
Watching some of the finishers coming in.
It was marginally cooler this year thanks to an overcast morning and we did yet some light rain towards the end of the event which made for decent running conditions. I'd entered the 10k distance, which was two laps of the off-road route around the college grounds. The gently undulating terrain sapped my legs of energy, as did the dry wood chip in places, but I wouldn't really change it.
There was a fantastic turn out again this year and lots of friendly faces. I was happy enough with my efforts given my mojo has taken a holiday lately and very impressed with the goody bag... water, banana (scoffed by the time I took the picture), cereal bar and a wash bag as well as the t-shirt. Unfortunately I didn't win anything in the raffle but I did buy a piece of the most amazing salted caramel brownie from the cake stand.
If at all possible I'll sign up again next year, it is for a good cause after all. Hope to see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment