Monday 23 November 2015

A Running Questionaire

There've been quite a few serious posts on the blog lately so I thought that it was about time I posted something just for fun. So how about a running questionnaire! I pinched these questions from Mary's blog, and some of them really made me think.

Would you rather run along a beach path or on a mountain trail?
Ooo tough one to start with! I loved and hated the beach sections of Tiree in equal measure with their flatness and seemingly never-ending nature so I'll probably err on the side of mountain trail. I've little experience here but despite hating hills, trails are fun and what goes up must come down. Plus, views, right?
Beach running on Tiree



If you could choose the flavour of Gatorade at your next race’s aid stations, what would it be?
I wouldn't. I don't drink it. Nor do I drink Lucozade. The only thing I tend to drink that's not water is nuun and my current favourite flavour of that is lemonade.

If I gave you a £100 gift card to a running store, what would be the first thing that you would purchase with it?
I *ought* to by a new sports bra and maybe a fancy reflective jacket but in reality I'd buy capris! I've got enough trainers (although there are plenty I still covet) but I'm a sucker for funky capris.
Do you prefer to follow a training plan or wake up and decide then how far and how fast you want to run?
I always have good intentions of following plans, and do ok, but can feel quite constrained and overly worried about following them so given the choice, and if I didn't have an event to train for, I'd prefer to just run as I feel.

Would you rather start your run with the uphill and end on the downhill or start your run with the downhill and end with the uphill?
Always get the uphill out of the way first. There's the argument for the legs being more warmed up at the end of the run but they're also tired and I'll be grumpy so let's pick the option that involved least swearing.

When you can’t run, what type of cross-training do you choose to do?
I cross train even when I can run, because I am the type of person who get's bored if I'm only doing one thing all the time. I mainly do metafit, HIIT, boxercise-type classes, circuits, kettlebells and yoga but will swim or cycle occasionally too. I'd love to dance more often but that's fallen off the radar recently.
 I've tried trapeze and trampolining too!

What is your preference—> Out and back, point to point or loop runs?
Loop runs are best for me because it's harder to talk myself out of turning back early and saves on the logistics of getting home again in a point to point.

If you could recommend ANY running related item to a new runner, it would be a—>
pair of trainers that you LOVE. If you love your trainers then you're much more likely to want to put them on and go show them off.

Do you ever see any wild animals while out on your runs?
Yes, mainly squirrels around this way. There was the occasion when I actually kicked a squirrel by accident having apparently snuck up on him. I'm not sure who was more surprised. I've seen the odd deer in the forest too but that's about it.

Ever gotten lost while out on a run?
Not to the point that I've had to call for help but there was one occasion in particular when I got lost in the forest (with company) and it took a bit longer to get home than expected, adding a couple of miles on to what was a medium length run. 

If you could have one meal waiting and ready for you each time you got home from a run for the next 30 days… what would that meal be?
I can't possibly answer that question because I don't have a favourite meal and often I'm not hungry for a full meal when I get back from a run. A chocolate milk drink and a bit of cake wouldn't go amiss though!
Capris or shorts… what do you run in most often?
Capris. I own very few pairs of shorts, and certainly no loose fitting shorts, that don't start chafing after 3 or 4 miles.

At what mile (or how many minutes) into your run does your body start to feel like it is warming up and ready to go?

It takes me about a mile to warm up and get into the flow of a run. There have been a few occasions when it's taken longer or never really happened at all but when you find that moment of complete flow it's pretty special.

What do you do with your key when you run?
Put it in my shorts pocket. I have a special pair of keys, free from key fobs etc, that I take when I run, rather than my usual set.

If you could relive any race that you have done in the past, which one would it be?
A real tough one. There are so many that I've loved, either for what I've achieved or the fun I've had. It would probably be one of my marathons, maybe Marathon Du Medoc. 
Party time at Medoc
What has been your biggest motivation lately to get out the door to get your run on?
My growing sense of lethargy. I know the longer I leave it, the worse it will be so I just go out to run with no set agenda.

When you go for a run, do you leave right from your front door or do you drive somewhere to start?Almost always from my front door. That's part of the attraction of running for me, that I don't have to go anywhere to start. I'll travel to run with friends, for races and parkrun, but I'm lucky that I have a lot of loves places to run within a couple of miles of my front door.

When running in daylight—> are sunglasses a must or an annoyance?An annoyance usually. Of course it depends on the light, and the trade off between wearing sunglasses and being able to see but despite having a really good pair of sport sunnies with interchangeable lenses, I prefer to go without. My eyelashes catch on the lenses sometimes and I can't stand it.

When you get tired, what keeps you from quitting?
I honestly don't know. Perhaps it's breaking down the distance left into more manageable chunks, seeing friends or family on the course, or just a fear of feeling guilty if I don't do my best.


I'd love to hear your answers to these questions! Pick one or two to answer in the comments or link me up to your version on your blog :)

4 comments:

  1. Mountain trails- beaches are energy sapping and the view gets old quickly.

    - Pink Lemonade Nuun.
    - I need new shoes, so those! Probably Brooks or Mizuno.
    - If I've got a race, a plan, if just maintaining I do my own thing.
    - Get the uphill out of the way first.
    - I do multiple things anyway- climbing is my other main sport, plus boxing and kettlebells and yoga when forced.
    - Loops. Out and backs kill my mojo.
    - Well fitting shoes.
    - Foxes, squirrels, deer in the hills, lots of birds there too.
    - Only got lost in the city and it wasn't really very lost.
    - Peanut tofu satay. Yum yum yum. After a wintry run.
    - Shorts. I only climb in capris and prefer free legs.
    - 2 miles or so in. I never judge the first 3 miles.
    - I put my key in a shorts pocket or bra. I need to take the Alpaca key ring off though (not made from Alpaca, a model of an alpaca).
    - I've not really had 'my race' yet, where it was brilliant and everything fell into place. Isle of Man Easter Festival was pretty special and the 10K is fantastic.
    - The phrase 'winter miles make summer smiles'. I've started training for something big, so even though the weather is shit I just have to do it.
    - From my front door unless I'm out in the hills, in which case get up at 5am, go via a coffee shop and drive north.
    - I have literally never worn sunglasses.
    - Honestly, sometimes I do quit. Sometimes I break it down into chunks, sometimes I just distract myself with music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooo peanut tofu satay sound amazing! Do you have a recipe?? I love pink lemonade nuun too, they have quite a few lush flavours. Intrigued to know what the "something big" is that you're training for...

      Delete
  2. As if you kicked a squirrel!!! This made me laugh! I can imagine the look of surprise on both your faces!

    ReplyDelete