Wednesday 22 June 2016

Shorter Distances, Strawberries and Small Fry

Ah the return of the shorter distance events and some proper rest time! I find it lost impossible to keep free time in my diary and can't imagine not taking part in races throughout the year, even though every year I try and put a limit on how many I enter.

I took things much easier this week though and my legs thanked me for it. Ok it was the third weekend in a row where I was racing but this time it was "only" a 10k. The hilly Polesden Lacey 10k was super fun and enjoyable despite the rain because I was with friends and family.
Rachel and me prior to running the Polesden Lacey 10k and smashing some targets.
I visited Virgin Active three times last week for yoga, a TRX class and a swim. It was my first yoga class with Andrew, a softly spoken, bearded gentle soul whose style I enjoyed very much. His classes will be a regular feature of my week, although an hour feels so short after getting used to 90 minute classes. The TRX class was just a 20 minute short, sharp workout on the gym floor. Just five of us in the class which consisted of three upper, lower and core exercises. I was complimented on my form, which was reassuring seeing as I teach it from time to time! I threw a few kettle bells around beforehand, 32kg deadlifts and 24kg swings... feeling strong again. My standard 1km swim had more flow to it and I rewarded myself with 5 minutes in the jacuzzi afterwards.

My favourite class of the week last week was kids class on Tuesday at Box Bell Fit. Love these girls and boys. It's usually exhausting, like herding cats, but you can't fault their enthusiasm and it's so rewarding seeing them getting more competent and finding exercise fun. My team lost at tug of war though.
On Wednesday I took part in the Bracknell Forest Runners' Forest Five race for the first time in about three years and the first time in my BFR kit. It was a fantastic turn out and I spent so much time talking to people I knew. I had butterflies leading up to the event, which was most unlike me, but put it down to feeling like part of something big. In summary, I had a good run of it, and there will be the customary write up soon. I've since had a week off of racing but of course I have more races and some new challenges in the pipeline, and they're not insignificant! I need to start focussing on cycling for a while and then work on my open water swimming.
Not your usual bling
Aside form work and training I've been cooking. It's strawberry season and the allotment is overflowing with the things. I'm getting kilos of them every couple of days, along with gooseberries and yet more rhubarb so I've been cooking up a storm. I was particularly impressed with a simple strawberry jam I made and am thinking of making a strawberry and rhubarb version soon. But the piece de resistance was my rhubarb and strawberry crumble... new speciality. Not clean, not especially healthy (although no added sugar) but damned delicious.
This week's training summary:
Saturday: Rest day
Sunday: Polesden Lacey 10k
Monday: Yoga
Tuesday: Rest day
Wednesday: TRX class, Forest Five
Thursday: Metafit, 1km Swim
Friday: Rest day

Any other suggestions for using up strawberries? Perhaps something healthier? Part of a running club? How did you feel running in club colours for the first time?

No comments:

Post a Comment