Thursday 19 June 2014

Recipe: Moroccan Spiced Hummus

Some time ago I went on an impromptu picnic and one of the party bought a Moroccan spiced hummus. It was divine. I’d been experimenting with making my own hummus so I snaffled the cardboard wrapper with the ingredients on as I was determined to try and recreate this one. I'm pretty pleased with the results.

This is pretty forgiving and you can adjust the spices according to your own taste but this is how I make it. I take a tub of it to work for lunch with carrots, peppers and pitta. If you really want to up the ante try it with pitta that’s been drizzled with oil and salt and pepper or paprika and grilled. Ooooooooo.
You will need:
1 tin (400g) chickpeas, drained
2-3 tbsp tahini
3-4 tbsp rapeseed oil (or similar)
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tbsp runny honey
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 clove garlic

Put all the ingredients into a blender and whiz until well combined. Stop blitzing when it reaches your desired consistency; I know some people like it really smooth, others slightly chunky. If you need to add a little more oil or tahini to loosen it then do so and adjust the spices according to taste.

This will keep for a few days in the fridge and is great as a snack or a light lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment